(urth) Wolfean theologies and the Long Sun

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Feb 5 14:15:00 PST 2009

These 2 points are especially of interest:

---Orthodox Christianity does not understand the Incarnation as a kind of possession or adoption.

Makes sense ...

---he is unaware of his Godhead in any meaningful way

even though Severian is a liar, or at least doesn't tell us everything. But I agree that the brief moment in which Severian "is" or "writes as" the Increate is not best taken as a tiny revelation of a huge truth. How exactly it should be taken, I'm not sure. What was Wolfe saying? Simply that Severian's healing powers are the real deal, not derived from Heirogrammatic manipulations?

I wonder about Severian's striving to become good. I am not sure I see much evidence of a *conscious* striving. Mostly, he makes mistakes and tries to avoid repeating them. Which may be enough.

Message: 2