(urth) Wolfean theologies

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Feb 5 07:28:31 PST 2009

That's a very interesting and useful analysis of Frodo---not just the correspondences, which are easy enough to create/find/project/whatever, but the construction of the orthodox or doctrinaire Christ (let's just call him the OTC, or One True Christ, and assume we are talking about the Catholic one).

It did occur to me that even the OTC is an incredibly complex idea with any number of aspects. You point to 3: Cross-bearer, Teacher, and SoG. This last one is the most problematic for any kind of analysis (I can't decide whether it's central or peripheral!), and I almost threw it in with the stigmata etc., but it seemed too big. One could add Healer. One could also add, from medieval literature, Lover. Thus all the high-medieval love songs to Jesus (see a certain episode of South Park as well).

It makes sense that a work of literature would pick at most 2 of these aspects or divisions (I don't know what to call them) to examine. It also makes sense, then, to regard a character that is OTC-like in only 1 or 2 aspects to be incomplete, not whole, NOT an attempt to replicate the OTC entire. And Severian seems to relate most of all to the Crossbearer (but ironically, since he is the Torturer) and to the Healer. He seems to be a Lover too, although
perhaps that can be taken as sci-fi convention. SoG he ain't---but then there is that passage. Nor is he a Teacher. Characters with these limited connections would legitimately be termed "figures."

Thanks, John, this is really useful! For Silk as well, as you suggest.

So I gather you read that passage not as God/Severian suddenly, briefly, being conscious of fitting himself into a tiny human mind, but as Severian getting a "high" off the Increate's doing so to him. Severian therefore is not himself divine, merely "touched by His noodly appendage."

As you say, even this momentary experience of divinity could have huge and problematic implications as far as the Increate's implied approval of Severian, his puppetmasters, his crimes, etc. And the stronger the connection, the bigger the problem. I wouldn't want to bring all that in on the strength of this single passage.

Message: 2