(urth) Silk for calde blog: Wolfe thesis

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sat Dec 19 11:44:20 PST 2009

Matthew Weber wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com
> <mailto:jwilson at io.com>> wrote:
>
>     brunians at brunians.org <mailto:brunians at brunians.org> wrote:
>
>         It is certainly scientific in the old sense.
>
>         It has been gone over for a long time by some brilliant people
>         and the
>         loose ends are pretty much all tied up.
>

>     How about transubstantiation, and other unobservable unfalsifiables?
>

> Could you unpack what you mean by "transubstantiation"?  Where I come
> from, the word is used to describe a theory of how the Real Presence in
> the Eucharist works; a theory couched in 13th-century neo-Aristotelian
> philosophico-scientific terms.

It is a conjecture that in the sacrament of Holy Communion the substance
of the bread and wine literally becomes the substance of the flesh and
blood of Jesus Christ, while the species, the appearance available to
the senses remains exactly as before. To be a scientific theory, this
would have to be supported by a body of observations and experiments
that would show a different result if the conjecture were false. Not
only has this not been done by the Church's thinkers, people attempting
to procure samples of the Eucharist for examination are harassed and
charged with kidnapping and assault, and falsification has been
discouraged historically by threat of anathema, despite the continuity
of species making it unfalsifiable by definition.

> Look at any of the great works of systematic theology (Thomas's Summa,
> John Damascene's Exposition, Lombard's Sentences).  There's nothing
> wrong with the reasoning in any of these works, and they proceed in an
> orderly, rational, and coherent fashion.  Whether you find them credible
> will depend, of course, on whether you accept their basic assumptions.
> Criticizing them for not following the methods of 21st century science
> is a bit like criticizing theoretical mathematics for not having a good
> beat.  That's not what they're /for/.

The methods of 21st century science are also those of 17th century
Galilean science and the 11th century Book of Optics, but I agree that
scientific rigor is not what religious texts are for. I think that their
highest purpose is explaining that religion is useful despite being
primarily concerned with things that are not subject to scientific inquiry.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >