(urth) AEG again

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Wed Dec 9 05:47:50 PST 2009

David Stockhoff wrote:
> #4 and #6 are just guesses. Maybe Bill could have healed the assassin or healed himself with time travel, but that doesn't tell us who the assassin is or give us a motive for Bill.Margaret (or any other apparently normal human) could only have done it if she meets any one of the requirements in a way that is unknown to us; for example, if she is Cassie she could have used time travel (IF that even works). I have no explanation for #6, but you can never trust Wolfe. The logic laid out above still applies in this case---the clue is pointless if we don't know who WOULD have been wounded by the cleaver. Similarly, unless werewolves are described as having healing powers, it wasn't a werewolf.

Werewolves don't have to be described in-story as having healing powers
for us to assume them. In many werewolf movies they heal rapidly from
any wound not made by a silver weapon or bullet (this is directly
referenced when Cassie gets a gun with silver bullets after learning
that werewolves are real). In-story, Chase says that werewolves
rearrange their cells. That could easily be used to cure or hide a wound.

So either of the werewolf candidates we know of (Margaret Briggs or
Ebony White) would be possible candidates. I tend to favor Margaret
(time-traveling Cassie, trying to fix Cassie's life by killing Chase),
but Ebony has the advantage of possibly being male in disguise (she
lives with India). She is thin (size four, never gets fat p. 59) even
though she eats lots of meat. The motive for trying to kill Chase could
be that she is working for Reis. Ebony White is an unusual name,
invoking both the black and white of werewolves as well as hints of Snow
White, with all its disguises and violence.