(urth) Silk for calde blog: Wolfe thesis

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 20:20:34 PST 2009

I felt, probably unwisely, compelled to reply to this:

"And in my experience, Catholics typically do not have a metaphoric concept
of Purgatory. It's Hell. Temporary Hell, but Hell nonetheless. I've heard
some recount how nuns gave very specific years of agonizing punishment in
Purgatory for detailed lists of sins."

This is not my experience (and I've been Catholic my whole life and went to
Catholic school until I was 22).  I'm not sure I've met a Catholic under the
age of 30 who would agree with this characterization--and maybe not under
the age of 50.  It's true that the concept is not typically "metaphoric,"
but the rest is just off.  I was specifically told (as an eighth grader, I
think) that such interpretations of Purgatory were misunderstandings.

Frankly, the contrast between Dante's depiction of Hell and his depiction of
Purgatory (even though Dante's Purgatory is no picnic) suggests to me that
the distinction has been pretty clear in the typical Catholic imagination
for some time.