(urth) Loose ends

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Apr 29 06:31:12 PDT 2009

interestingly, my first reaction to your relation of that scene is that there is indeed some explanation. The nature of it may be hidden, but it exists. And Severian is just pretending to be ignorant of it.

For example, the guy may recognize him as an exultant, and hate him for that. Or he recognizes him for an executioner, whether he is in fuligin or not. Or the guy hates him because Thrax is a small, shitty town and Severian is a stranger.

Any of these is sufficient and tells us more about Severian than about the tales. Further, I'd guess that Wolfe is in fact reminding us to look for those explanations. Severian is basically saying "A certain type of coincidence does not occur in narratives," though it may very well occur on nature.

Message: 1