(urth) Weekly blog links

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 20:40:39 PDT 2009

A nice discussion of "The Toy Theater" in _The Best of Gene Wolfe_:
http://www.locusmag.com/Roundtable/2009/04/reading-gene-wolfe.html

"...Does anyone have any better answers than this? I'm ducking a whole
series of issues, I realise: is the narrator a reliable one? Is Lili,
in turn, reliable in her claims about Stromboli? Why does the narrator
give us so few clues about what he himself is feeling? (In this, he's
very much like other Wolfe protagonists.) That a story of, I guess, no
more than 3000 words can generate so much exegesis (and a feeling that
you've still not exhausted it) is a huge tribute to the density that
Wolfe achieves in his best short fiction."

--
gwern