(urth) PF as YA

Fred Kiesche recursive_loop at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 19 20:32:23 PDT 2009

Funny...I was in junior high in the mid-1970's. We had "Voyage to Arcturus". And a lot of stuff by Robert Silverberg, Samuel Delany, and others that was pretty dang "adult".

And a lot of the stuff I see marketed as YA is explicit one way or the other.

In the "teen room" of the town library they have shelves of manga. Some manga can be pretty dang adult. My wife or I check whatever our daughter wants to borrow, less to censor than to provide guidance and offer advice. (If she wanted to take out any of the really "hard" stuff, I'd probably censor/ban, but that's me.)

So there might be more in that junior high library than you know of!

But I doubt you'd find Gene Wolfe, as I don't recall him ever getting a teen/YA marketing push.

F.P. Kiesche III  "Ah Mr. Gibbon, another damned, fat, square book. Always, scribble, scribble, scribble, eh?" (The Duke of Gloucester, on being presented with Volume 2 of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.) Blogging at The Lensman's Children and TexasBestGrok!