(urth) PF as YA

"Fernando Q. Gouvêa" fqgouvea at colby.edu
Fri Apr 17 11:05:16 PDT 2009

I actually thought a bit before phrasing it as "for young adults"
instead of "YA", for that very reason. "YA", after all, is a marketing
category. Today it seems to mean "preadolescent".

That said, however, the scuttlebut among authors is that folks have been
asked to *add* sex and violence to their books in order to make them
appropriate for the YA market. If you've read a review of Margo
Lanagan's "Tender Morsels", to choose an example that I happened to
notice, you know that the "YA" category today embraces a lot of stuff
that junior high librarians used to frown at.

Fernando

Jerry Friedman wrote:
> [...]

Fernando Q. Gouvea
Carter Professor of Mathematics
Colby College                     Editor, MAA FOCUS
5836 Mayflower Hill               Editor, MAA Reviews
Waterville, ME 04901              http://mathdl.maa.org/mathDL/19/
http://www.colby.edu/~fqgouvea

A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.
  -- G. K. Chesterton