(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 56, Issue 37

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 16 21:14:02 PDT 2009

There are other possibilities.  For instance, the narrators
could have added their comments, perhaps overtly raising
the question of who they are.  That is, Wolfe could have
made them the kind of characters who would do that and who
would have interesting things to say.

They could have quoted Silk's letters, written-out sermons,
or other documents, maybe with an explanation of how they
got hold of them.  ("Take these with you.  There may be
something in them you can use for your book.")

They could have just inserted extended thoughts for Silk
into the narrative, as they did brief thoughts and
feelings.  If necessary, at the end they could have said
something like, "What we showed Silk thinking about the
soul and body is mostly what he told us sprats in the
palaestra one day."

No doubt there are more options a writer like Wolfe
could have come up, and I think it would have been to
the book's benefit if he'd chosen one.

Jerry Friedman