(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 56, Issue 37

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 11:37:11 PDT 2009

Oh, I agree--I think he's definitely still Oreb.  On the level of mere plot,
SilkHorn doubts Oreb(?) is Oreb because 1)  he's suppressing Silk's memories
of the last 20 years, which may have involved continuous association with
Oreb, and 2)  the Horn side has no idea how old night choughs can get.  But
I think his instinct, that Oreb is another bird perfectly imitating Oreb, is
still supposed to tell us something about the movement of souls in the book
and about SilkHorn's understanding of himself--I think there's a bit in On
Blue's Waters where SilkHorn says he isn't Silk but has done his best to
imitate him for his entire life.  This is wrong, but it's his justification
of himself.