(urth) AEG - borrowings

Allan Anderson rubel at goosemoon.org
Wed Apr 15 00:00:15 PDT 2009

I was going to postpone commenting on this for a couple of days while
I finish the book, but I can't help myself.

So far, I'm thinking that any and all "borrowings" fit nicely into An
Evil Guest's nature as a sort of tribute piece, a stylistic pastiche.
Maybe no one thinks anyone would care about a implicit literary
reference. I'm delighted to hear about these connections you've
discovered! When I read "Gideon Chase", I thought of the character
"Gideon Stargrave" (aka King Mob) from the comic book series The
Invisibles. He's another horror/sf writer who becomes more than that
profession might seem. But it's very possible that Grant Morrison
referred to Mo's novel in his own choice of names: what makes The
Invisibles relevant, I think, is the books' conscious blending of
genre, reality, and fiction. It's an unique story, but also very much
a borrowed patchwork shirt. And pulpy stories of the type AEG seems to
want a family relationship with, well, they have always dipped a range
of  sources. So it's completely appropriate, to my mind.

But here's my question: at the cast party, someone tells Cassie she
looks like she's seen a banshee. Aren't Banshees often seen washing
bloody clothing, as a death omen? Is that the mountain's laundress?

Okay, I'll shut up and get back to reading.