(urth) Weekly blog links

Matthew Keeley matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 21:38:11 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:21 PM, John Watkins <john.watkins04 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that Long Sun stands just fine on its own, but is certainly better
> with Short Sun as well.  Short Sun is really Gene's treat for his biggest
> fans, no one else could read it.
> I do agree that Nettle is apparently the best writer of Wolfe's characters.
>

>> Don

Short Sun frustrates me a bit; it has some wonderful moments like the
sewers on Green, and it's nice to see certain returning characters,
but I think Wolfe overdoes (or his characters overdo) some aspects of
the book. For example, did we really need all that Scottish-like
dialect from Pig? And I sometimes wish Wolfe would cut back on the
long dialogues about How Things Work - Taluses, ships, etc.

Perhaps I should reread Short Sun - There are parts of it I like just
as much if not more than New Sun, and that is very high praise from
me.

I liked An Evil Guest and Pirate Freedom, but both seem to me to be
minor Wolfe. I'd take Castleview over either of them, though I'm
rather biased, as I'm a great fan of Arthurian lit.

-Matt