(urth) Weekly blog links

Allan Anderson rubel at goosemoon.org
Tue Apr 14 21:19:14 PDT 2009

Interesting write-up, Jon. Although I found a fun blend of salty
adventure and mystery in Pirate Freedom, I can sympathize with your
finding it dry for a pirate story and pointlessly convoluted when you
try to poke behind the curtains.

But it has some other virtues! There's the neat sort of breakdown of
the pirate myth at the hands of the modern narrator. There's the
tension between lawlessness and law (political, moral, violent) -- the
fine balance between consensual governance and rule by intimidation on
the ships.

While you found the puzzles and mysteries disappointing, my biggest
complaint would be about the barren characters. They all seemed like
one-dimensional puppets dancing around Chris. They start off full of
flavor, like the liberated slave Azuka, but then never seem to develop
past the first taste. Even if it's done for effect, showing the limits
of the narrator, it's still disappointing.

I don't blame him for knocking off a couple of shorter, lighter works,
though. And I'm looking forward to teasing out the puzzles of An Evil
Guest (just about halfway through now, and enjoying the style and
dialog).