(urth) Hut/Ultan's Library/Catherine

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Apr 8 09:06:20 PDT 2009

James Wynn wrote:

>>> James Wynn wrote:
>>> Although I realize some people have physical reactions to this sort
>>> of thing, a minor extension of Don Dogget's clone theory would
>>> provide a narrative (rather than a purely metaphoric --and to my mind
>>> desperate) explanation for Severian's morbid sensation.
>
>>   Jeff Wilson wrote:
>> Can you refresh my memory on that, please?
>
> It connects Severian directly to the magic beans in the Spring Wind
> story, and identifies him as a clone one of those "children" of Typhon
> (Spring Wind).  He never claimed that Ultan was a clone to my knowledge,
> hence the "minor extension". But once you bring clones into a story, it
> is a given that there is never just one.

That's true, but there's already an awareness of clones in the society
at large, the khaibit class. I could see Severian and Ultan being
khaibits that have survived their primaries, and Severian's
interpretation of this state as a sense of being dead.

This might also play into the "where is Severian's sister?" mystery - in
this case, one would be down at Echopraxia and one at the Well of
Orchids, depending on how you count siblings with khaibts.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >