(urth) IROSF

Mo Holkar / UKG lists at ukg.co.uk
Sat Apr 4 03:41:27 PDT 2009

At 22:40 03/04/2009, brunians wrote:
> > At 20:17 03/04/2009, you wrote:
> >> It's an interesting period in Jewish history: when people talked
> >> about the Messiah, at that time, they usually meant Cyrus the Great.
>
> > I think that had to some extent worn off by the time of the setting
> > of the Soldier books, upwards of 50 years after Cyrus's death.
>
>Why do you say that? The books of Ezra and Nehemiah were recently
>published and widely read.

Sure, and those books talk about Darius and Artaxerxes in the same
enthusiastic terms as they do about Cyrus. Clearly Cyrus was still
regarded as an anointed arm of the Lord, but not as "The" Messiah in
the Book of Isaiah sense. Which is what I thought you were referring
to -- apologies if not.

>What did people mean, then, when they said 'moshiach', anyway?

An interesting question, which we can only explore by rather
imperfect means. Presumably, though, it's safe to say that different
people may have meant different things by it.

best,

Mo

# ~ # ~ #

WolfeWiki now at: