(urth) Hut in the Jungle

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 3 06:35:41 PDT 2009

Jeff Wilson writes:

>What's the example for Ultan? IIRC, during his sighted days he was fond
>of reading by a window on the 49th floor of the library, overlooking the
>Upholsterer's Garden.

Thanks for bringing up that scene, I had forgotten it. I'm not sure if it
is negative or positive evidence for the library extending back (and forward)
into time. We are told it extends in space as far as the House Absolute;
too far to be  a "natural" extension I'll guess.

I re-read the passage and I'll note that the Upholsterer's Garden serves the purpose
of drying rosemary to stuff into pillows (reminds me a bit of the cushions from
Severian's tryst with Jolenta).  If the Library extends down to the past but
also rises up 49 floors, perhaps it extends far enough into the future to
reach Earth, as does the Jungle Hut.

With regards to Gene Wolfe's Earth, I think it is safe to say that Rosemary
(Wolfe's wife) is an important part of it. Also, wolfe was 49 years old when
Shadow of the Torturer was published.

I'll also note that Ultan (and Cyby) tell the story of his reading and looking
out the window of the 49th floor to mark when Ultan first started to realize he
was going blind. I'll further note that Jorge Luis Borges became fully blind in
his 50's (he was 81 when SotT was published).

FWIW

-bsharp