(urth) "Principlesofgovernaaance"Gene Wolfe's Politics

Matthew Weber palaeologos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 15:20:41 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I think we're supposed to take the classification
> Severian learned as naive and Master Malrubius as showing
> what's wrong with it.  At the least, we and Severian are
> supposed to consider that there's as much to be said for
> monarchy as against it, as in the quotations from Aquinas
> and the ancients that Stanislaus kindly posted (so I could
> pretend I knew all along about those opinions).

I'm not sure that's at all the case.  I think here Wolfe is making a point
about how he believes God established governance in the human sphere, and
how far human beings have departed from it.  It would certainly be
consistent with Wolfe's Thomism.

--
Matt +

Without friends no one would choose to live, though he had all other goods.
Aristotle (384-322 B.C.), Nicomachean Ethics, bk. VIII, ch. 1