(urth) from National Review Online

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 12:17:38 PDT 2009

>If people are serious about this and genuinely mean
>for it to be a tribute to Gene and not simply a "groupie fest",
>the smart thing to do might be to talk to his daughter Teri,
>who lives closest of all his kids.

I don't disagree about any of this, but how would a "groupie fest" not be a
tribute to Gene?
If people showed up dressed a Severian or Horn or Typhon, could that be
anything but a tribute? Gene has been going to conventions since the early
seventies (at least), I'd be surprised if he did not appreciate a convention
thrown in honor of his works. He'll probably have a "real" birthday party
with family and friends. Anything organized from this list is likely to be
indistinguishable from a festival of fans.

Just trying to establish realistic expectations.

J.