(urth) Rajan and Food-Wolfe overview?

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 30 08:13:56 PDT 2009

In following this debate I find myself stepping back a few paces to try to
discern a larger pattern. In 5HoC we have Shadow Children who take on the form
of what might be called their prey, humans, to varying degrees. Their original
form was too ambiguous to really comprehend but those Shadow Children who become
most fully human lose their memory and sense of identity.

Then we have BotNS (and perhaps the Latro books) in which I (perhaps alone) detect
a back story which tries to give a scientific (or science fiction) reality to the origin
of ancient mythology. This involves the intrusion on Urth (and Earth) of interstellar
entities which are capable of shape shifting to human and other forms, perhaps budding
off small portions, etc. As is common in mythology this shifting (which includes DNA
changes) allows mating and even reproduction between aliens/gods and humans.

And we have Long/Short Sun books which perhaps try to tie some of these ideas together.
Though not religious myself, I have always had a puzzling religious question- If God
did all this work to create Earth and people and provide Salvation, what is the rest of
the universe for? Are there alien Bibles and Jesuses? I can imagine Gene Wolfe pondering
the same question.

Perhaps Wolfe's idea is that there are these shape shifting entities, some malevolent, some
benign, travelling through the universe, finding all inhabited planets. This leads to a
necessary spiritual progression on each planet which involves infestation and corruption
through interbreeding with the natives, a purifying flood, and the appearance of a Saviour
in the form of a native with god-like power but partial or full amnesia regarding his connection
to universe traversing entities.

Could this idea be applied to explain the Bible, Jesus, Urth, Severian, Blue and Silk under
a single umbrella of thought? I dunno, but I'm trying. I'm the sort who solves a jigsaw
puzzle by trying to get the outer framework solved first before tackling the difficult inner
workings. Any help is appreciated!

-bsharp