(urth) Rajan and Food

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Apr 28 18:37:32 PDT 2009

I have no idea where it was, but I recall a fairly clear hint dropped that the inhumi evolved from parasitic vines. There is certainly no evidence that they are reptilian---merely reptile-like.

And I agree that the Neighbors are somehow tree-related. Wolfe never wastes a clue, so there must be something to that.

I don't see any problem with transformations from one form to another, although I wouldn't propose that the inhumi can change into vines and back any more than humans can change into monkeys and back. But they do have the capacity to winter underground just like plants.

The inhumi plainly are highly changeable, and do not need to conform to 20th-century notions of what a species is---especially since those notions are wrong. They change when they feed on sentient life; they change with the availability of food.

Message: 2