(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 56, Issue 37

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 14:37:13 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 5:08 PM, James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not yet, but it's on my list of things to do. I'm currently working
> straight through from FHoC, Peace, Devil in the Forest, etc etc etc. Still,
> it will be very hard to overcome "I just don't see it".
>
> 1) Horn was resurrected from the dead after three days even though Seawrack
> and Babbie were not in any doubt that he was dead. I doubt I'll find more
> compelling evidence than that.

This is certainly compelling evidence that a Neighbor or more than one did
something.  I tend to agree that in some sense the being who comes out of
the pit is not the same being who fell into it--as I've said before, this
new entity has the life/blood/essence of a Neighbor and the will/memory/soul
of Horn.  Whether he's a different being, the same being resurrected with a
new, alien element, or two beings in one is a tougher question.

> 2) Resurrected Horn shakes hands with a Neighbor who declares that he
> himself is Horn.

This could mean a hundred things.  My inclination is to believe that the
resurrected Horn is still in a very important sense Horn--otherwise the
Neighbor's decision to treat with him is pretty dishonest and confusing.  Of
course, it would be almost as confusing if Horn were merely Horn.  It seems
to me that his authority to treat on behalf of humanity is derived unique
status as part-Neighbor--he is ideally suited to serve as a "greatest
bridge" between the peoples.

> 3) The Raja flat out denies that he is the fellow (whose name he forgets)
> that wore a ring and died on Green and was transferred to a body on the
> Whorl. Yet asserts (a lie) that in fact he is Horn (who died in the pit).

You do this consistently, but isn't it "Rajan"?  Regardless, the Rajan is
lying when he says that and when he says he can't remember the guy's
name--he's trying to avoid confessing that he's been to Green (I think
because he's trying to draw out Fava).

> Incidentally, (not that it proves anything, I guess) in interviews Wolfe
> refers to the narrator of SS as the Raja. Not Horn. Not Silkhorn.

That appears to be Wolfe's name for the gestalt being who writes the books
down.  Calling him "SilkHorn" might be giving away the store, after all.
 Still, it supports the theory that he's a Neighbor in part as well.
 Frankly, if there's no Neighbor in him, his astral projection makes no
sense to me.  Then again, Mora's posession power and dream-walking don't
make much sense to me either.