(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 56, Issue 37

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 13:37:50 PDT 2009

>>Hmmm.  Besides Silkhorn's ruminations,
>>I can't see any evidence at all that Oreb would not be Oreb.

>Oh, I agree--I think he's definitely still Oreb. [snip]
>But I think his instinct, that Oreb is another bird perfectly
>imitating Oreb, is still supposed to tell us something about
>the movement of souls in the book and about SilkHorn's
>understanding of himself--I think there's a bit in
>OBW where SilkHorn says he isn't Silk but has done his
>best to imitate him for his entire life.

Well, he's not the same Oreb because he's Scylla.
No one else seems to wonder that Oreb was able to die and resurrect himself.
It makes me believe that someone was possessing him at that time. But that's
just me. But that would doubly make the Oreb of most of SS different from
the Oreb of most of LS.

FWIW I think the whole speech is pointing to the fact that the Neighbor has
been imitating Horn who imitated Silk. The whole thing harkens back to VRT
of "The Fifth Head of Cerberus".

J.