(urth) PF as YA

Mo Holkar / UKG lists at ukg.co.uk
Thu Apr 16 02:19:42 PDT 2009

At 23:47 15/04/2009, Jonathan Goodwin wrote:
>I know that "didactic" has a pejorative connotation in many
>circumstances (which might be derived from New Critical orthodoxy, at
>least in part); but I meant it only descriptively.

It seems to me likely that Wolfe means all of his work to have a
didactic element (in that descriptive sense). Otherwise, what would
be the moral purpose of writing it?

And to go back to your slightly earlier question -- while Chris
surely isn't held up as a moral exemplar, he does seem to me to be
portrayed sympathetically, and his exploits laid out in such a way
that instruction might be drawn from them. So this might be a more
sophisticated take on the identify-with protagonist of simplistically
didactic YA. I'm not an expert, but I'm sure there must be a
tradition of other such in the YA canon.

Mo

# ~ # ~ #

WolfeWiki -- a wiki about Gene Wolfe
http://www.wolfewiki.com/pmwiki/