(urth) Wolfe in decline?

Jonathan Goodwin joncgoodwin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 10:31:58 PDT 2009

That would be silly about the time-travel, I agree, so I'm glad not to
have suggested it. What I did write was that time-travel aspect of PF
seemed a particularly 'Wolfean' addition to the book, one conditioned
by the expectations of his earlier work and not integral to the
narrative. In particular, I wrote in my post that it seems to
introduce (lazily) potential ambiguities for readers inclined to spot
them that would thereby increase the apparent moral and narrative
complexity of an undeveloped work.

I also mentioned in my post the nagging suspicion I had that the
entire pirate story was a fantasy transformation of a youth spent in
more prosaic and chronologically suitable crime. Did anyone else see
it this way? I also then thought that I would never even have
considered such a baroque interpretation in a work by another writer
(and would have indeed set the book down long before finishing it).
That kind of reaction, if shared by anyone here at all, is what I'm
particularly interested in hearing about.