(urth) : "Principlesofgovernaaance"Gene Wolfe's Politics

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Tue Apr 7 06:56:51 PDT 2009

On Apr 4, 2009, at 1:40 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:

> Though the idea of democracy must have survived
> quite a long time, since the Commonwealth doesn't have
> even nominally democratic institutions, and other than
> the real Master M.'s lesson, there's no trace of democracy
> in the past.

well, there is this detail at least:
Shadow X The Last Year:
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
"Then that is enough for you. Look here," she held up the brown book.
"Here it
says, 'It was the thought of Thalelaeus the Great that the
democracy'---that
means the People---'desired to be ruled by some power superior to
itself, and of
Yrierix the Sage that the commonality would never permit one differing
from
themselves to hold high office. Notwithstanding this, each is called
The Perfect
Master.' "
I did not see what she meant, and said nothing.

FWIW