(urth) Hut in the Jungle

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Apr 5 06:37:13 PDT 2009

Along these lines, there's another "miracle" (more of a trick) of Severian's that might follow this pattern: when he tosses the craquemarte in the air from the deck of the ship upon Gyoll and catches it. Once I got that Severian's healing power might be a power over time, I assumed that he simply reversed time so that the cutlass flew back into his hand. It seems like the kind of thing he would do.

If so, you could also look at it, I suppose, as time travel into the future while moving upward, and travel into the past on the return path downward. The problem, of course, is that the past is also the future, since the catch follows the release in time. But the return path is only a ripple in local spacetime while Urth moves forward.

Thus, a paradox, but a neat one.

Message: 5