(urth) Hut in the Jungle

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 06:49:12 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 9:35 AM, b sharp <bsharporflat at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Jeff Wilson writes:
>
> >What's the example for Ultan? IIRC, during his sighted days he was fond
> >of reading by a window on the 49th floor of the library, overlooking the
> >Upholsterer's Garden.
>
> Thanks for bringing up that scene, I had forgotten it. I'm not sure if it
> is negative or positive evidence for the library extending back (and
> forward)
> into time. We are told it extends in space as far as the House Absolute;
> too far to be  a "natural" extension I'll guess.

We've been operating on that assumption, I know, but rereading Short Sun,
I'm no longer certain of it.  Check out Duko Rigoglio's rant:

"Nessus is our city...A city larger than the whorl on which it stands...A
whorl, any whorl, is only flat...we beheld Nessus, the undying city.  But we
did not see Nessus...There were many buildings there, countless houses of
one and two and three and even four stories, and countless towers of twenty
and thirty and three hundred.  Of three thousand.  Do you graps it?  Why, no
one ever succeeded in counting the towers in the Citadel alone....one could
have walked all around the Citadel in three days, or four...It was only a
small area, really so small that people from distant parts of the city, of
which there were many thousands, actually doubted that it existed at all.
 Then underneath all our buildings were cellars and sub-cellars, dungeons
and caverns and tunnels without end."

He continues for a bit.  If Nessus is truly that vast, and has "caverns and
tunnels without end" below it, I think we're meant to consider the
possibility that the Library is at least physically connect to the House
Absolute.

This doesn't mean, of course, that it isn't also connected via some kind of
magic mirror/Father Inire mechanism.  I think that's more or less certain.