(urth) from National Review Online

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Apr 1 09:08:58 PDT 2009

Son of Witz wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2009, at 11:37 AM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
>
>> It's not me I'm worried about, but I can all too easily envision some
>> heated discussions and spilled drinks leading to an exchange of
>> assaults, both real and imagined.
>

> Guaranteed these discussions wouldn't get so pitched in real life face
> to face.
> Faceless internet communication makes it much harder to recognize a
> joke, or when you've gone too far, or...

God bless you for your faith in our fellows, Witz, but I've been to too
many meet-ups where people started showing their ass to have your
confidence.

I believe it is like the same-birthday exercise; any one person has less
than a 1% chance of sharing a birthday with any other random person, but
in a group of twenty the odds are better than 40%.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >