(urth) The Floating Islands of Lake Diuturna

John Smith jsmith2627 at att.net
Sat Sep 6 17:32:35 PDT 2008

In The Sword of the Lictor, Wolfe populates Lake Diuturna with floating islands which move about with the wind.   This, I had thought, was another strange and exotic invention that the author used to separate our world from the future Urth.

Well, I've been reading Charles Darwin's Voyage of the Beagle, a book I had always meant to read.   When Darwin gets to Lake Titicaca high in the Andes, he describes the floating islands in the lake.

Looking at Wikipedia, I find that even to this day there are Indians who live on the floating islands.

So what I took to be fantastic was simply fact.  I wonder if there are more such fantastic realities in TBOTNS.

Best wishes,

Jack