(urth) a lurker asks a question

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 05:19:04 PDT 2008

>Matt asks:
>I love this scene, but other than the need for Severian to get the books for Thecla,
>I'm wondering what the Point is...What does this chapter contribute to the story?
>...What am I missing?  Surely there's more to it than that.

When people mention to me that they feel something is going on under the floorboards in this scene, I always direct them to this clause:

"...quite suddenly I felt that he and I were dead, and the darkness surrounding us was grave soil presing in about our eyes..."

There is something being declared here in a Lupean way -- narratively or character development-wise -- but I'll be danged if I know what it is.