(urth) a lurker asks a question

Matt Teel adeodatus43 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 29 09:03:48 PDT 2008

Thanks Adam.

I did find those things in the archives (the reference to Borges is especially interesting to me).  But I'm thinking all of that is pretty self-referential, and that surely there is some reason from *within the story* for the existence of this scene: some plot piece put into place, for example, that I'm missing.

Every scene in a book generally has a number of things going on.  While Wolfe's own Hitchcock-like appearance, and the reference to Borges, are interesting, I have a hunch they aren't the *reason* for the scene.  And that's what's really got me stumped.

Thanks again!  I appreciate your taking the time.

Matt