(urth) second dream team

Pedro Pereira domus_artemis at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 23 03:11:16 PDT 2008

The Godlings are beyings sent by Mainframe. They are probably geneticly engineered artificial creatures used specifically for the needs of mainframe. It's not the same thing as natural alien races that mix half the genetic information from other alien beyings as if it was a Lego game. Heck, it wouldn't be possible even among diferent species on the same planet that have extremely similar genetics. Genetics simply don't work that way. But again, I don't see a reason to try to justify it at all. It's a neat idea that works very well in the books and since I don't read them as sci-fi in a stric sense it's fine with me.

Pedro

From: crushtv at gmail.comTo: urth at lists.urth.netDate: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 20:52:48 -0500Subject: Re: (urth) second dream team

Pedro said:
"That can surely be Wolfe's intention. All I say is that it is not real science and the problem only exists when people want to justify it using real world biochemistry. Wolfe is basically using some biological rules but not really limiting it to the realm of plausibility.  Not that it takes any value from Wolfe's books at all, mind you. As I said, his books are more like Flash Gordon on intelectual steroids."

I say:
Once when people argued that the giant god that the Raja spoke to in RttW was not biologically possible, Wolfe responded that that only meant that the god was not constructed the same way as we are. He said he was impatient with arguments about what is and is not possible in biology.