(urth) OT: Anathem

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Tue Sep 16 16:03:47 PDT 2008

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, Adam Thornton wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2008, at 9:25 PM, brunians at brunians.org wrote:
>
>> I've had other people say similar things to me, but I don't see it as all
>> *that* good. But then I don't really like either Pynchon or Gibson either.
>>

> Seriously: the Baroque Cycle is _Gravity's Rainbow_ only set after the 30
> Years' War rather than after WWII.
>
> Speaking of which: how many other hard-core Pynchon fans are there here?

Well I just finished _Against_the_day.  I avoided M&D as too long (read
all his others), but got sucked in by the first chapter of _AtD_.  I like
and have read everything of Stephenson's, but I was glad to reach the end
of the Baroque Cycle ;)

Turning back to Wolfe, Pynchon is interested in a lot of the same things
-- I think here of power and violence and pulp literature (_atD_ has a few
Lovecraftian episodes as well as all the edisonades/westerns) and a hard
science background that is deliberately held lightly -- but slightly
different politics...and more on-screen sex...and his puns are probably
better.

David Duffy.