(urth) a lurker asks a question

Steve McCann steve2mccann at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 23:08:43 PDT 2008

A quick run through the chapter *The Master of the Curators* in SotT and I'm
not seeing this citation, even though I thought I had remembered it as well.
Was the book in Baldanders castle? But I did run across this passage:

"I opened the book at random and read, '... by which means a picture might
be graven with such skill that the whole of it, should it be destroyed,
might be recreated from a small part, and that small part might be any
part.'
I suppose it was the word *graven* that suggested to me the events I had
witnessed on the night I had received my chrisos."  pg. 46 S&C

I'm not finding "chrisos" in the OED or via google, but the context reminds
me strongly of the eucharist. Before this scene Ultan spoke of his time
waiting for his master to die, so he could take his place as Librarian. All
of this foreshadows Sevs becoming the Autarch, so my guess is that the
function of the chapter is put this possibility in play.
-s