(urth) An Evil Guest: Random *** SPOILERS ****

Matthew Keeley matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 15:34:09 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Mr Thalassocrat
<thalassocrat08 at gmail.com>wrote:

> - Why the constant descriptions of what kind of sandwiches people are
> eating? Is this just a lapse into weak writing by Wolfe, or is there some
> purpose? Descriptions of food seem to occur every couple of pages.

Clearly the most important of your questions. Perhaps it's a reference to
the vice of some thirties' writer? As I mentioned in an earlier post,
there's at least one reference to Nero Wolfe (Rusterman's, where the
overweight detective sometimes eats), but I haven't read enough of Rex
Stout's books to know whether or not such description is common in his work.
I THINK it is, as the detective apparently eats quite a bit and is very much
a gourmet. I somehow doubt Nero Wolfe would share Cassie's love of deli
sandwiches.

-Matt