(urth) second dream team

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 18:45:29 PDT 2008

Dave Tallman says:
> Blue or Green being Urth is only one possible explanation.

Unfortunately for people like me who find the Urth/Lune = Blue/Green concept
appealing, there are three more very glaring alternatives.

1) Wolfe just likes the Blue/Green combination for reasons no one has been
able to identify (to my knowledge). We see it in The Fifth Head of Cerberus
and in Pandora By Holly Hollander.

2) This is not the only parallel I've noted between tBotSS and tFHoC, so it
is worth considering that Blue is St. Croix.

3) Thematically, the reason Blue has multi-limbed monsters is because it is
another tip of the hat to Edgar Rice Burroughs. The Short Sun is an homage
to Rice's Martian stories just as the Long Sun is an omage to the Pellucidar
stories. So as Don Doggett once pointed out, if the Whorl has returned to
Sol, then Blue is just as (or more) likely to be Verthandi. Remember that
Mars might once have been covered by water, and I suppose one could imagine
that it could be again.