(urth) OT: Anathem

Adam Thornton adam at io.com
Sat Sep 20 22:46:27 PDT 2008

On Sep 20, 2008, at 10:53 AM, Matthew Keeley wrote:
> 2008/9/20 Rjyan Kadwallader <cexwell at gmail.com>
> I think I would let Gary slide, it's not cool to pick on D&D kids
> they have enough problems as it is.
>

> And didn't he die a few months back?
>
> As I understand (from reading Michael Moorcock's comments on this),
> early D&D was very upfront about the sources it used - apparently
> they used to cite Tolkien, Moorcock, Leiber, Vance, et al. in the
> guidebooks. Now - not so much.
>
> I never played myself, but surely there are some "D&D kids" here? My
> parents were always suspicious of it, so it wasn't really an option
> for me. I got my watered-down fantasy through Japanese videogames,
> thank you very much.

Yeah, there are a few D&D kids here.

Gary Gygax did die a few months ago, and the earlier editions were
pretty clear about where the inspiration came from.  A lot of people,
such as your humble correspondent, found their way to Jack Vance,
Fritz Lieber, and Michael Moorcock from it, and thence outward.

Adam