(urth) OT: Anathem

Dave Lebling dlebling at hyraxes.com
Tue Sep 16 17:12:25 PDT 2008

I'm a fan of Wolfe, Stephenson, Gibson, _and_ Pynchon. (Not to mention
Sterling and Swanwick -- have we ever discussed Swanwick here?) Anyway,
"Go figure."

Pynchon's most accessible novel is "The Crying of Lot 49." It has many
of the themes he elaborates on in later novels (conspiracies, weird sex,
technology, drugs, paranoia, nerdulent infodumps), but is short, funny,
and to the point. "Gravity's Rainbow" is an incredible novel, but it's a
hard slog for most people (you can tell the ones who gave up because
they only talk about the "Banana Breakfast" scene, which occurs very
early in a very long novel). I liked "Mason & Dixon" but found it
overlong, and haven't managed (so far) to get past the first hundred or
so pages of "Against the Day." "V," though, is readable and (again)
comparatively short.

I like Stephenson a lot, and am reading "Anathem" now (and avoiding any
potential spoilers). Like most Stephenson novels, it's starting somewhat
slowly. I have read "The Baroque Cycle" twice and enjoyed it even more
the second time. This is not unlike how I approach most of Wolfe's work:
I've probably read "The Book of the New Sun" six or eight times at
least, and still find new stuff each time. I disagree with Adam
Thornton's comparison of "The Baroque Cycle" and "Gravity's Rainbow."
Superficially it is accurate, but in practice "GR" is profoundly
pessimistic and while it is vaguely about "how the present came to be"
(and for Pynchon, that means the technological, deracinated,
conspiracy-theorist, dehumanized present), "BC" is optimistic and about
how the modern world and worldview was born and propagated (in a fairly
short space of time in the 1600s). Thus, in spite of its setting and
ostensible format ("historical novel"), "BC" is an SF novel, whereas
"GR" is a modern or post-modern "mainstream" novel.

I am looking forward with anticipation to "An Evil Guest." (My wife
discovered it inside our storm door as I was typing this message -- no
doubt it fell from space in a leaden casket).

To further broaden the topic, I just finished "House of Leaves," by Mark
Danielewski (sp?), another doorstop of a book, full of typographical
foolery and unreliable narrators. It was creepy and I enjoyed it.

-- Dave Lebling, aka vizcacha