(urth) Fuligin in illustration

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Thu Oct 23 16:49:03 PDT 2008

Old topic, I know. hopefully it's not unwelcome to respond to some very old posts.

I'm an illustrator, and I've been sketching some scenes from this book over the last month or so.  Fuligin is a challenge that I didn't think it would be.

First of all, while the text says:
"the hue fuligin, which is darker than black, admirably erases all
folds, bunchings, and gatherings so far as the eye is concerned, showing only a featureless dark."

Does anyone read this as saying that highlights wouldn't show up?
It seems to me that it says "folds, bunchings, and gatherings" – all things that create shadows, become a "featureless dark".  But what of highlights? Surely when a light (like the claw's) hits it strongly, the cloak would catch some of the highlights. I picture this as a lot dimmer of a highlight than an ordinary black, but still a highlight.

Anyway, I'm aiming that my illustrations would be considered "legitimate" if they were seen by someone familiar with the story.  Does anyone have thoughts on this, especially ones that would argue with what I've said above about highlights?

(sorry about the lack of formatting here)