(urth) AEG: More Theology

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Thu Oct 30 05:22:35 PDT 2008

AEG is packed with Christian symbolism. There's a lot of the Book of
Romans in here.

Notice the two bracelets Cassie receives from Reis. The gold one is
heavy, barbaric, and deadly because it is made from radioactive gold
that cannot be purified enough (p. 96). It's like something a Volcano
God would give (p. 74). To me this looks like the Old Covenant of the
Law, given at the top of a burning mountain. The diamond one is pure and
beautiful, clear and flawless. This represents the New Covenant of grace.

Reis initially wanted to win over Chase, and he was willing to destroy
Cassie to show his power in order to do this. "It was to be an
exhibition of my power, something to frighten Chase -- to frighten him
into my camp if possible." (p. 125). This looks like salvation "to the
Jews first and also to the Greek" (Romans 1:16).

Gideon is an Old-Testament name. He acts as a Svengali to Cassie's
Trilby, and Svengali was a Jew. He has written books of moral philosophy
(p. 27) and insists that people not use the words "good" and "evil"
loosely (pp. 14-15). He takes Cassie to a quaking mountain to awaken her
to her potential. Once he takes Cassie to Reis he vanishes from the
story -- now she represents both Jews and gen

Margaret seems to represent living according to the Law. She keeps the
letter of honesty but breaks the spirit of it with her trash-can trick
(pp. 82-83). She is a werewolf and their nature is to "want the wild and
a liberation from human morality." (p. 207). "When the commandment came,
sin revived and I died" (Romans 7:9).

Cassie's address changes may reflect her changing spiritual state.
1) The East vs. West address -- "As far as the east is from the west, so
far hath he removed our transgressions from us." (Psalm 103:12).
2) Apartment 3A is half of a whole, representing Cassie's incompleteness
without the love of God. She once let a magician saw her in half (p. 197).
3) Apartment 301 reflects "Add nothing to God and you get good." The
three and one represent the Trinity, and the zero is adding nothing, so
goodness comes by the grace of God.
4) Being on the fifth floor instead of the third suggests Cassie is
being raised to a higher level.

In the end, Cassie is on a long journey, looking for the return of
Christ. She is helped in the wilderness by the fire of the Volcano God
(Holy Spirit).