(urth) At risk of getting in over my head . . .

Mr Thalassocrat thalassocrat08 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 22:23:59 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 2:50 AM, Eric Ortlund <eortlund at briercrest.ca>wrote:
wrote:
 But about inhumi flying from Green to Blue -
I wonder if that's a lie, because as I remember, inhumi come in waves to
Green every three years or so when the two planets are close together.
So I *think* that checks out.  But obviously the whole issue is a huge
one.
-------------------

Realistically, landers could only travel between Green and Blue at around
conjunction, also. They seem to be rocket powered craft subject to the
standard orbital mechanics & not capable of pulling more than a few gee, for
limited periods.

So I think a journey between Green and Blue would require a Hohmann transfer
or whatever, at some point around conjunction. And I think Wolfe intended
that to be the case.

But obviously it's possible to read things differently - I just find this
explanation satisfying and consistent. One reason: it means that the inhumi
problem on Blue is pretty much under control by the end of RTTW. Their ranks
have been decimated, and there won't be any more coming from Green.