(urth) Laundress and Star (AEG spoilers)

Henry Eissler henryeissleriii at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 19 11:07:07 PDT 2008

    You know, I'm sure you're on to something about the address.
    As far as we know, she resides in only 4 places through the course
of the book:
    1) Her apartment in Kingsport, which, as you point out, changes from
the 3rd floor to the 5th, from 301 to 3A, and from W. Arbor to E. Arbor.
    2) Her hotel room in Springfield.
    3) Her hotel room in Kololahi., supposedly in the South Pacific- but
when Sharon (who may be lying) is asked what time it is in Kingsport,
it's just about the same. (p. 236)  (remember that Cassie's a late riser.)
    4) Her room at the palace.  I guess she's only there for a couple of
days.
    Only the one in Kingsport goes through these changes?  (And
Kingsport is in the same timezone as Great Takanga?)
    At the very end of the book, in the conversation with Ambassador
Klauser, he points out two things- time is an illusion, and the laws of
physics are not the same everywhere.

    Forgive, please, a digression:
    India clearly knew about the diamond bracelet before Cassie received
it (p. 140).  Then says she was there when Wally gave it (p. 174).  And
much earlier, when she's talking about the gold bracelet, Gideon seems
to know already about the diamond bracelet (p. 74).  And, of course,
when Wally gives it, he's just a holographic projection.
    During that conversation, he calls her "Queen Cassiopeia of
Takanga", which is what prompts her shock that he 'knows her real
name'.  Of course, the play 'Dating the Volcano God' imitates her life
after the Springfield run- that could be easily explained by the fact
that Bill (Wally) wrote the play.
    She doesn't recognize Lt. Aaberg (Larsberg?) when she sees him
outside her window, even though he looks so much like Scott.  And she
forgets Mickey the stage manager's name, though she's known and worked
with him for months- if not years.
     I haven't counted the times Cassie wakes up and thinks that what
happened previously either was or might have been a dream.  At one
point, she says she thinks she might still be in the dream/nightmare (p.
205).
    All through my first reading, I couldn't escape the suspicion, that
Cassie's whole life is some elaborate episode of  'Candid Camera'  (or
'Punkd'), or 'The Truman Show'.  That she's at the center of some
spectacle, and Bill Reis is the only one not in on it.
    Now you mention reality changing around her, and I can't help but
wonder if that's not what's going on- that she's sculpting reality
around her (probably unconciously ) to be centered on her.  Maybe it is
all a dream; or much of it.
    In short, I have no idea.  But I needed to get those questions (at
least) off my chest.

    Please, share more of your insights.  I'll shut up now.
    ---H