(urth) a lurker asks a question

Adam Thornton adam at io.com
Wed Oct 1 07:22:56 PDT 2008

On Oct 1, 2008, at 1:08 AM, Steve McCann wrote:

> A quick run through the chapter The Master of the Curators in SotT
> and I'm not seeing this citation, even though I thought I had
> remembered it as well. Was the book in Baldanders castle? But I did
> run across this passage:

I don't think it's in _Master of the Curators_.

I'm not convinced it's even in the New Sun books, actually.

But the passage you quoted:

> "I opened the book at random and read, '... by which means a picture
> might be graven with such skill that the whole of it, should it be
> destroyed, might be recreated from a small part, and that small part
> might be any part.'
> I suppose it was the word graven that suggested to me the events I
> had witnessed on the night I had received my chrisos."  pg. 46 S&C

Here's Wolfe messing with us again.

Of course it's not "graven" that's the key, at least not to anyone but
Severian.  It's the holographic nature of this memory storage device,
and the fact that the analeptic alzabo lets you eat a tiny part of
someone's brain and then subsume his or her memories and personality.

Adam