(urth) Fuligin in illustration

Kerry Benton k.benton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 11:06:52 PDT 2008

I don't recall any reference to a red (or any other color) lining in the
book, but I admit it's been a while.

The most common book cover illustration seems to be the one that's still on
the current Orb "Shadow & Claw" edition, which shows not merely a red, but a
beautiful varicolored lining that in fact spills over the top in a frilly
sort of collar.  It also shows a great deal of shadow and lighting effects
on the fuligin and has severian wearing a black (or fuligin) shirt.  I've
always thought this illustration was gorgeous and would love to have a large
sized print of it, but I also have a distinct memory of the moment I
realized it wasn't accurate (upon my 2nd or 3rd reading probably).

There's a Japanese cover that I think is fascinating... it appears to be
inspired by the painting referenced above, but with a really distinctive
style : http://flickr.com/photos/78615114@N00/2481269054

Anyway, my 1 or 2 cents.

-k