(urth) Laundress and Star (AEG spoilers)

brunians at brunians.org brunians at brunians.org
Mon Oct 20 04:43:23 PDT 2008

> Phoenicia, Aethiopia--either way it's where Baal was worshipped,
> right?  They had human sacrifices, at least according to the Bible.

So did the Bni Israel, at least according to the Bible.

'Baal' means 'Lord'. That's it. Contrast various names in Kings and
Chronicles. -baal becomes -bosheth ('bosheth' means 'shame'). Remember
that the order of books does not correspond to historical order:
Chronicles is the earlier work.

> Chesterton has a whole bit on it in The Everlasting Man, about how the
> Phoenician civilization was just about the only thing the Romans and
> the Jews hated equally.

Chesterton is right a lot of the time, and clever and amusing even when he
is wrong. Not having read 'TEM' I have no idea which he is being here.

.