(urth) Laundress and Star (AEG spoilers)

Henry Eissler henryeissleriii at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 16 09:59:39 PDT 2008

Dave Tallman wrote:

> The "laundress" reference may not be a Native American legend,
> however. I found a reference to a "Washer at the Ford," a form of
> banshee in Celtic legend. If a soldier saw an old woman washing bloody
> garments in the river, this predicted his death in battle. This legend
> is also connected to Modron, Morrigan, and Morgan le Fey. Cassie's
> middle name is Fiona, which is derived from a Gaelic word meaning
> white, or fair. Bill Reis' son Rian is also a Gaelic name meaning
> "little king." Cassie says she will be going out with a banshee (p.
> 64). She fills the theater with "wailing ghosts" (p. 53) in warning
> about a dangerous honeymoon in the play. This predicts the disaster of
> her romance with Bill Reis -- Cassie is like a banshee, and like
> Cassandra in predicting evil which is not believed (p. 64).

    For what it's worth--  Margaret Briggs describes herself in her
introduction as "...an expert seamstress and laundress, ...".  Then, at
the cast party, whenVincent Palma is speaking of banshees Norma asks,
"doesn't Cassie have a grey neighbour right now?"  Margaret says, "She's
talking about me."
    And I thought she was so nice.
    ---H