(urth) "My father's mounted guard

Mo Holkar / UKG lists at ukg.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 06:00:22 PDT 2008

At 13:43 15/10/2008, Craig Brewer wrote:
>This is one thing that's always bugged me a bit about New Sun. In
>Castle of Days, Wolfe mentions (as I recall...please correct me if
>I'm wrong) that certain things about book 4 came as a bit of a
>surprise to him. I've always wondered if the Autarch mind-meld was
>one of them. If it was, it certainly casts some doubt on how much we
>read in to the Old Autarch's presence in the earlier volumes. That
>bothers me because so much of our reactions to small hints in the
>early volumes depends on assuming that Wofle had the full story in
>view the whole time. But it does make me stop at times when I start
>to try to put together ingenious readings of Sev's perfect memory
>combined with Thecla/Autarchs...at least in the early volumes.

I think though that Wolfe says that he completed the whole thing in
draft before finalizing any of it, so he had the opportunity to go
back to the earlier volumes and sow those hints in relation to ideas
that had only come to him while drafting the later parts.

best wishes,

Mo

Mo Holkar
Undying King Games