(urth) "Myfather's mountedguard"

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Oct 14 20:00:20 PDT 2008

Son of Witz wrote:
> [...]

Sev specifically says that the previous autarchs' memories are present
but faint, only his immediate predecessor and Thecla are "there" enough
to have initiative and identity of their own.  I don't think the Claw
would make a big difference, since Sev is the ultimately the source of
the Claw's power. If anything, the conciliatory aspect of the Claw would
have more of an integrating, assimilative effect, granting peace from
such an internal division.

As for more Thecla-moments being recorded, that's largely because Thecla
is the only passenger memory available for 2 1/2 volumes, with the a
tiny snippet of Autarch-memory at the end of Volume IV. By the time URTH
begins, Sev's already had ten years of time to adjust, so there's just
not as much opportunity for other such takeovers to be recorded.
Although, by the time Sev returns to the Citadel, he is speaking in the
plural as more than just a royal affectation, as if the collective
autarchs are speaking through him.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >