(urth) Junie Moon (Again)

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sun Oct 12 00:46:30 PDT 2008

James Wynn wrote:
>> There's something that doesn't compute here...
>> Greco-Roman myth (Juno and Hercules are the Roman names) had Juno as
>> the enemy of Hercules, not his employer. Hercules being the issue of
>> yet another of Jove's  infidelities, she sent serpents to kill him at
>> birth and others at various later times. Meanwhile, Herc's usual
>> "employer" was Augeas (the 12 labors).
>
> Well, as with so many things about the myths it is not entirely clear
> that Hercules was originally understood as Hera's enemy. His Greek name,
> HERACLES, means "Glory of Hera". Still, his *ultimate* employer is

I'm not sure that the Ancient Greek preposition is exact; some sources
translate it as "Glory from Hera" or "Glory by Hera".

> usually seen as King Eurystheus. His employment to Eurystheus was
> assigned to him by the Oracle at Delphi (which originally belonged to
> Hera) because Hera drove Heracles mad and had him murder his family.

When did it belong to Hera? I've only ever heard of it being transferred
from Gaea to Apollo upon his defeat of Python. Would this have something
do with the scandal that led to the use of crones as Pythias rather than
the seductible young women that served before?

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >